Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Writing has been a great past-time for me starting at a young age. I started to read when I was three years old and found that reading was a very relaxing hobby and outlet for my imagination, whether it was Dr. Seuss or R.L. Stine. When I became about 12 years old I would start to write little poems and journal here and there. By the time I was 13 I was writing in my journal everyday and was beginning to expand on my poetry into short stories, and even illustrations. By the time I was 22 I had 12 journals, in which I refer to as the Encyclopedia of My Life. I had a lot of problems with my family growing up and writing became a very therapeutic outlet for myself, and for only my eyes to see. However, it would have made a big difference in my writing if I thought that someone may find it and read my deepest darkest feelings on life, family, and relationships. Consequently, this ritual carried me through Junior High and High School and I think it made English class a little easier, since writing and reading was something I was doing anyway in my own personal time. Writing poetry and short stories came a little easier to me because I wasn't burdened by it, or ashamed of it, I was very acclimated to putting feelings on paper, and now that I have started blogging this term, and I'm kind of feeling the same way. That being said, if by some chance someone came across my works as a writer, and tried to pass it off as their own, I would be furious. At some small level I would be slightly flattered that someone thought so highly of my writing that they would want to use it, but kindly making reference to me for my work would be absolutely necessary. That makes me realize how important it is to do the same for other works written by other writers. Even for someone who enjoys writing, there is still considerable time and effort that is put forth to compile great written work, and credit for this is more than appropriate. I'm looking forward to writing more in this class and writing my research paper, with of course providing credit and reference where and when it is adequate. Even though I do greatly enjoy writing, I know there is still so much for me to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee,

    Just as you do not want someone stealing your work or your ideas, you do not want to pass on information that might not be factual or might even be drastically wrong or false. This is another good reason for citing your sources, so you do not get the blame for something you would not want people to think was your own work.

    It works two ways.

    I totally know what you mean about writing for yourself and writing for an audience. Big difference. Also, you never know what kind of impact your words will have on others. I recently shared a short "journal" text in which I mentioned a friend I had not seen for many years and how I remembered this person. Wow, I never dreamed this would have such an impact on them. It was positive or I would not have shared it. I have many journal writings I would never want to share with anyone unedited.

    ReplyDelete